Thursday, August 19, 2010

Summer: I'm going down swingin

This has been the busiest summer of my life. Not busy as in I've been having so much fun that I haven't had time to blog, but busy as in I've been working insane hours and have been so stressed out that I haven't had time to have fun, much less blog. For the last few months I've been planning a huge event in Mexico City. The event was last week and it was 30% disastrous* and 70% successful, but at least it's over.

Because of my crazy work schedule I've missed gatherings with friends: baby showers, goodbye parties, and birthday parties. Most of all I've missed spending time with Jason. I would come home late from work to see him crying at the kitchen table with plates of cold dinner and two candles burned down to stumps.

I'm relieved that the long hours are over but I'm bitter about those days and hours that were spent on work and not on summer. No sunshine, barbecues, bike rides, water balloons, snowies, or strawberries for me. But that's all going to be different now. For the next few weeks I'm going to soak in summer as much as I can, so get ready for another blog absence for a little while. Look out autumn, if you screw with me I'll kick you in the A(utumn).


On a side note, we were rewarded with "Yard of the Month" in our neighborhood. Apparently if you have an awesome wisteria vine the HOA ignores all the weeds.



*By far the biggest disaster was everyone getting food poisoning from the hotel. Do you need a good cleansing? Go to the Sheraton in Mexico City and eat the food. You'll lose 5 pounds in 3 days like I did. Other disasters include, but aren't limited to: missing pallets (thanks FedEx!), delayed flights due to bees on the plane, flooded hotel rooms, lost luggage, and massive dehydration sending the CEO to the ER. I can't wait until next year!!

8 comments:

starr said...

lol. no, seriously. I was laughing out loud. why does that always seem to happen when I read your blog? Please come back from your hiatus soon so I can get those stomach muscles going during the otherwise sluggish work hours.

and if trips to midway are included in "summer fun" you should come on up to check out our stone, stone splitter, Stella (ok those were for Jason) and hang out. we are lounging in luxury at Calder's sisters place while working on our house. get moni and kids to come along. there is room for everyone!

Dave and Ash said...

Wow, Emmy-- that sounds like way more than just making brochures!

Sara and Dustin said...

I was laughing, too. Mostly at Jason crying over cold dinner and burnt candles. I love your blog...but enjoy your summer!

Elder and Sora Linerud said...

Emmy,
You are hilarious! Glad your event is over and that you have so many good stories to share! It's important to laugh...now! Next week we will do a wheelchair distribution and training which has been in the 'works' since March. After your experiences, I'm shaking in my boots! Love your blog!

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

You are one of the funniest people I know! I was dying over the comment of Jason at the table--because I know how TRUE it is! (Welcome Home cookies, anyone?) And congrats on Yard of the Month. If you randomly lose the sign and we get one, it may have something to do with our vine who is trying so hard, but has yet to gain recognition. Maybe he can come over for tips from yours. And now I have crossed the line to TrueRandomland. Come over and play with us for some summer fun soon!

kh said...

Oh my gosh...I so know your pain. Events suck. Huge events suck more. I'm already working on our Halloween and Christmas community events (think: thousands of people every night) and I'm already exhausted. I dread holidays now because they mean WORK.

That said, I love that your yard won! Hmmmm, I think I need to copy that idea for Vegas.

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

Aren't you glad we let you share in a little summer fun with the lemonade/otter pop stand? :) Your welcome!

bklain said...

Your yard IS gorgeous. Love it. I am so sorry about Mexico disasters. That sounds like a trip from 'H E double hockey sticks.' Haven't used that phrase in a while.
Oh, McKay just pointed to your picture on your blog and said "Mommy." Maybe it's the dark hair similarity? Haha.