Friday, January 6, 2012

Five stages of grief

1. Denial
Dairy can't possibly be making my baby fussy. How can her mood be affected by what I eat?

2. Anger
She's just a baby. It's not me, it's her. Get over it, baby! There is NO WAY I'm giving up cheese!

3. Bargaining
Just a quesadilla after church can't hurt, right? It's only one slice of sharp cheddar! Maybe just a small bowl of cereal, too.

4. Depression
I'm never going to have ice cream AGAIN!!! I want to die!!!

5. Acceptance
I am lactose intolerant. I always have been. I was just always stuck in stage 1.

10 comments:

laura said...

This is a tragedy. I am sorry for your loss.

monica said...

Still in stage 1 and always will be.

sam and brittney said...

It took me months to do it but I finally gave up dairy due to a fussy baby and I had a new baby on my hands! It was hard put totally worth it!

Mindy said...

I'm just coming out of this cycle of grief myself. I'm happy to report that I just had a bowl of cereal with lactaid, and it wasn't so bad. If you like being miserable.

But really, it's not that bad.

Calories In That said...

Have you tried almond milk? It's yummy! PS Jane is too cute!

shayna said...

I can't imagine life without dairy. Seems bleak.

Liz said...

oh my gosh - the worst! remember when i used to be lactose intolerant when i went through puberty? that sucked. i'm sorry for you.

Lauren said...

I figured out Aubrey was lactose intolerant while breastfeeding. It sucks but it's way easier to have a happy baby than fussy baby, I promise (although, I'm confused by stage 5 whether it's you or her that is lactose intolerant).

Lactaid milk is the easiest substitute. You can actually have raw milk. I've never tried it but everyone says it's really good, tastes like regular milk but fresher. I would stay away from soy and almond milk for now because of soy and nut allergies and the hormones in soy milk.

I've always given her cheese and the Activa yogurt doesn't bother her or my mom (who is also lactose intolerant). You can always take those lactose pills (but I check if you can while breastfeeding). Hopes this helps. You are where I was 4 years ago and it's not fun but once you figure it out, it's not that big of a deal. Good luck.

Mostly Leighanna, some Jordan said...

UGGGGGHHHH. That's the worst!!! The cheese is what's killer. About milk though - the Silk almond milk brand, the dark chocolate kind? SO GOOD. way better than normal chocolate milk.

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

WAH. Sorry friend. My sister's fam has a lot of lactose intolerance--they thrive on Silk, Lactaid milk and the Lactaid pills for splurges in icecream. Good luck!