Saturday, February 2, 2008

The cheese to my macaroni

editor's note: I accidentally published this post two weeks ahead of time. If you got a sneak peak, consider yourself lucky! Tricksy Google Reader...


Twenty six years ago on this Groundhog's Day, a little boy was born. This boy was quite a surprise for his parents. He was born a few weeks early, just shy of his parent's 8.5 month wedding anniversary. Yes, my dear Jason Paul was an unplanned addition; a "honeymoon baby" some might say. But I'm so glad that birth control in the 80's was a little faulty. Some of you may not know Jason very well. Here are some interesting facts and figures about the soon to be Mr. Haycock.

  • When we say that he's Canadian, let me clarify. Jason's mom is Canadian and his dad is from the US of A. Jason was born in Utah, so technically he's an American citizen, but he claims to be a duel citizen. This is helpful so we don't have to mess with greencards or anything once we're married. So no, he's not marrying me to gain citizenship.
  • Since Jason is half Canadian and I am half Mexican, our children will be 50% American, 25% Mexican, and 25% Canadian. Basically, the Russons are taking over all of North America. You better be nice to us, because we have our northern and southern neighbors on our team.
  • Jason likes babies--not in a creepy way. He is the oldest of four children and helped raise many of his siblings. I swooned when we visited baby Stella in the hospital and he smelled her head and said, "I love the smell of newborn babies." This is a picture of Jason holding baby Holly, with Jeff on his left and little Ryan on his right.
  • We love the same TV shows; in fact it was Lost and The Office that first brought us together to become friends. But since the writer's strike has cutoff our dear Michael Scott, our new favorite TV shows to watch are shows when people compete against each other and get hurt. If these people are Asian, that is a bonus. We love American Gladiators (old or new) and especially Ninja Warrior. Watch Ninja Warrior clips here, you won't be disappointed.
  • Jason went to Amsterdam on his mission and enjoyed proselyting to drug lords and prostitutes. He learned to speak Dutch, but most of the people he taught were from Africa or Iran. He is now learning to speak Spanish (Silvia bought him one of those "learn spanish" cd programs from Costco for Christmas) and is already on lesson 4. He can count to one million and has a flawless accent when asking where the bathroom or bus stations are. Asking where the bathroom at the bus station is, however, not until lesson 5.
  • I have only seen Jason clean-shaven once. He always has to have a little remnant of a beard or else he looks like this again. Seriously.
  • Jason loves to drink Ginger Ale. We had a Halloween party and Jason was in charge of drinks. So what does he buy? Two 2-liter bottles of Ginger Ale. Who does that? Most people just drink it while on an airplanes, but Canadians really love their Canada Dry.
  • Jason is one of the hardest working people that I know. He worked full-time all through college and still managed to find a wife right before graduation. I've never been able to have balance in my life like he has, and I'm so jealous of that. I usually dilly dally all morning long, then get to work late, then get home late and then dilly dally some more so I don't ever clean my room or eat healthy. I blame you, blog. Jason eats breakfast every day, goes to the gym, works full time, and is always available when I am. How is that possible? Maybe I'll never know.
  • Jason likes to blow things up. He tried to blow up a pumpkin on Halloween (at the same party with the Ginger Ale) and it didn't work, even with all the giant fireworks he has smuggled from Indian Reservations in Montana. It was a noble effort though.
  • Jason loves to eat warm cookies with milk. He's lucky that I make very good cookies.

As you can see, Jason was an adorable child. I, of course, was equally if not more adorable. Our kids are going to be good looking, witty, charming and punctual, which they will inherit from their father. Happy birthday Jason! For some reason I feel shy to say this on my blog: I love you!

11 comments:

Marisa said...

I got to see it early! But it appears you did change a few things (I think?) so it was fun to read again. I love you guys.

Debbie said...

the dinosaur costume is my favorite! I'm glad I know a little more about Jason now.

ps i love watching people get hurt as well. XMC will always have a place in my heart, those crazy japanese

Mindy said...

Cute post em, I think you guys are going to make it.

AnnEE said...

Ok, so wait. DID HE, OR DID HE NOT ever live in Canada?????

Jason and you make a really good looking couple.

I'm glad that Jason doesn't like babies in a creepy way. He in now re-invited over to our house again.

Sara and Dustin said...

I love this post, Emily! The pictures are hilarious and so are you. I knew that Jason would have to find someone witty and funny...and he did! I just wish we lived closer to you guys. Maybe you can come hang out at Spackistan this summer!!

Mandi said...

That was cute Em. Thanks for sharing. It is good to get to know Jason better!

Emily said...

Yes, Jason's "Canadian" because he lived in Calgary, Canada until he was 18, then his family moved down here to Alpine. I'm glad he doesn't still live there, Utah has too much snow for me as it is, I couldn't imagine Canada in the winter.

Kincade said...

he likes babies not in the creepy? but then why is he smelling my baby? And liking the way she smells. Do you think he wants to eat her? Keep him away from my baby!

mamasuisse said...

What cute pictures. You guys will definitely make cute babies.

I got your bridal shower invitation, and then promptly misplaced it. Can you email me the date, time, address, etc at mamasuisse@yahoo.com

Kim Dubois said...

Awwwwwwwww...

Liz said...

Happy late birthday Jason. It was great getting to know you better through your soon-to-be-wife's talented writing.