Monday, April 7, 2008

Luna de Miel

Welcome to the palace that we stayed in for a week in beautiful Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Our honeymoon was pretty action packed. No pun intended.
It all began on Sunday morning with me getting a really bad fever as we were getting ready to fly to Mexico. As soon as we got to the house we stayed at, I went straight to bed with a cold washcloth on my forehead and about 40 blankets on me. Jason went to the beach to do some boogie boarding. He came back ten minutes later because the ocean swallowed his wedding ring. Yes, that's right--Jason lost his ring the second day of our marriage. He claims a big wave came and knocked him down, but I suspect he saw some hot coeds walking down the beach enjoying their spring break and didn't want to be married anymore. Just kidding...the girls weren't even that cute.

It was quite the experience buying medicine at the Mexican pharmacy. I say in Spanish, "Necesito algo para fiebre, y gripa...quizas algo como TheraFlu." And the guy says--in English, "Oh, you need some TheraFlu? Here it is. Feel better." Good thing I speak Spanish, huh.

I got over my fever pretty quickly and we were done crying over Jason's missing ring (which we have yet to replace) so we finally started having some fun. We read books, watched TV, admired the kite surfers in front of our house, got slightly sunburned, and ate guacamole all day every day.

We even took the buses downtown to do some shopping and eat out for a night. If you have ever taken public transportation anywhere in Latin America, you will understand that it is quite the adventure. I think we had at least a dozen near accidents or hit and runs. We bought some birthday presents for family members and then left them on the bus. Oops. Then on the way home, we missed our stop so we got off at Mexico's version of Walgreens because it was well-lit. We ended up paying triple our busfare for a taxi to take us home, but we lived.

Jason learned more Spanish and liked how all the Mexicans kept patting him on the back and saying HEY AMIGO!! I think they knew he was the one with the money. Jason also drank four liters of Mexican Diet Coke by himself.

We didn't take any pictures, but here are some pictures from previous trips of how awesome our honeymoon setup was. We were so spoiled being right on the beach. It was seriously perfect and so much fun and we look forward to going back someday soon! Honeymoons are cool, I recommend going on one sometime. The end.

9 comments:

AnnEE said...

Action packed, no pun intended. You rock my world.

Also, I'm really sad for you about the ring.

Jules AF said...

No pictures? No pictures???? Oh, I get it, you were naked the whole time. But still, not even one?

Jessica said...

You had the entire house to yourselves? That's sounds fun (wink).

Mindy said...

The mental image of Jason taking off his ring when he sees co-ed's on the beach is hilarious. That house is amazing!!

Mandi said...

What fun...besides loosing the ring and the fever. It is beautiful, I am not sure I am willing to brave a foreign country. Maybe if we go on another honeymoon, you guys should come too so you can talk in spanish for us!!

Calories In That said...

Emily, wow my jaw dropped when I read your husband lost his wedding ring in the ocean, because... the exact thing happened to Karl on our honeymoon!

I'm glad you guys still had a good time. :)

cait said...

i hope you're lying about not taking any pictures... the house and beach are amazing! i am so sorry about your fever and the lost ring, don't worry though- he would have lost it sooner or later...brig loses his every other day!

Carly A said...

Watch out. Michael and I got sick on our honeymoon and now Avery is here.

Mostly Leighanna, some Jordan said...

I'm sad about Jason's ring, but maybe it will bring you comfort that Jordan goes months without wearing his, mostly because he loses it and doesn't tell me. Only when he finds it again, in a pocket or behind the toilet, will he tell me he lost it. This is a recurring theme in our marriage (rings, wallets, keys, gym membership cards, etc).

ps taking the city buses in puerto vallarta was my favorite. so crazy!! we are thinking about going to cancun in may if fiji doesn't pan out. do you have any experience with puerto vallarta vs cancun? when i think of cancun I think of naked girls and empty beer bottles.