Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hiking? It's on my resume under "interests"

A few weeks ago, we both had a day off of work so we decided to go on a hike. The weird thing is, I think that I was the one that suggested it. I thought it was going to be a nice, leisurely stroll. It was not. We hiked from Silver Lake to Upper Silver Lake. See map here: It was steep and hot and the elevation* made it hard to breathe. The water in the CamelBak tasted like rubber. It was not fun. Jason kept saying, "my mom did this hike last year, you can do it too, blah blah blah, it's really pretty at the top, blah blah blah," so I kept going.

We learned a few things about the different ways men and women communicate. Jason kept saying encouraging things like, "You're doing great, there's only five minutes left, I swear, we are so close!" But all I heard was, "You have to stop AGAIN?! You just sat down three minutes ago, I swear, we are so close." He later admitted that we were not close, he just said that so that I would keep walking. His sneaky lies worked and we made it to here:I guess he was right though; it was really pretty at the top. We ate lunch by the lake and watched the snow melt. We fed crackers to this little friend. And then we left. That's it? My question is, a la Seinfeld, what's the deal with hiking? Is that all it is? Walking to somewhere, sitting for a while, and then walking down? It felt so...empty. We should have brought some Phase 10 or more food or something. Maybe thats why people go hunting; at least when you hunt you end your hike by bringing home whatever animal you saw on the trail. Maybe next time we'll bring camping gear so it will feel more fulfilling. Nevermind, Phase 10 is much lighter to carry.

The hike down was much easier, probably because we had agreed to go out for cheeseburgers and onion rings after our little jaunt. There's nothing like ending a nice full day of exercise with fried onions, I tell you what. At least we got a nice tan, even though most of it washed off. *Elevation is a fancy word for being really out of shape.

6 comments:

Jules AF said...

I hate that you have to wear shoes and socks while hiking. If I'm going hiking, I want to get a nice tan on my feet and legs. It's not possible to do that with shoes on! I find it irritating. I laughed hard when you said it washed off. Hard.

Anonymous said...

Married Emily is still as funny as ever, although not blogging nearly enough these days.

Meriel Frandsen said...

I totally agree. It's not all it's cracked up to be. I think that to this day, the only real hike I have ever done (outside of girls camp) are the hikes to various falls in Yosemite with my fam. That's it and nothin' else. ;)

Mel said...

Your title has made me smile several times throughout the afternoon when I think of it.

Joe said...

Did you use gmap pedometer? I did that once to plan a scouting 20 mile bike ride, and half my plan ended up being through a "private" estate... so we had to go back and it ended up being a lot longer. Coolest tool on the internet though.

Julie, I don't think I know you- but maybe you could make friends with some hobbits; I hear they are pretty good at hiking with no shoes.

Mostly Leighanna, some Jordan said...

you are a good sport. ever since one hiking incident that maybe i will recount on my blog, any mention of hiking by jordan is countered with an expression starting with "h" and ending with "ell no".