WARNING: If you haven't read the books yet, then don't read the text because there are many many spoilers. Don't succumb to the temptation to read. But if you really want to read, then simply highlight the text and say "Accio post!"
I kind of feel emotionally exhausted after finishing the book and already discussing it with so many people, so I don't even know why I'm posting this. I mainly am because I think it's pretty cool that I'm typing with invisible ink!
First off, I can't believe how many characters died! Rowling wasted no time at all with that. I was shocked that both Lupin and Tonks died, especially right after having little Teddy. But I guess I will admit that I'm glad that the very prominent characters didn't die. It was especially sad when Fred died, I really loved the twins so much, but at the same time I was relieved that it wasn't Ron. I hope that isn't selfish of me. I was just worried that Hagrid, Ron, Hermione, or Ginny, even Neville were going to die, so I was glad they didn't. I don't know if I could handle losing another Weasley.
I was impressed by so many predictions that were right or at least close to being right. Marisa's friend was telling me all about who R.A.B. was (how did he remember Regulus being mentioned so briefly in book 5?) and how Dumbledore's brother was going to be a big character in this book. Siriusly, how did he know that?
Hats off to Candace who completely predicted that Snape was in love with Lily! Once I heard her prediction, it just made so much sense and pulled everything together. Knowing the reason behind Snape protecting Harry and being loyal to Dumbledore definitely puts him in a different light in the older books. I guess he wasn't so bad after all. It was touching that Snape's last words were asking Harry to look into his eyes since he wanted to die looking into Lily's eyes. A little morbid, but hey what do you expect. So although I had mixed emotions at first since I've just gotten so used to hating Snape, if Harry thinks he's alright, then I guess I do too.
Dave at my work also noticed that at the end of book 4 when Voldemort uses Harry's blood to come back to life, Dumbledore has a slight smile. He smiles because he knows that Voldemort is making a connection with Harry that will eventually destroy him. How do people notice these things and remember them? It's just amazing how many little details really came together in the 7th book to complete the series.
I liked the final showdown with Harry and Voldemort, I knew it had to come down to those two meeting face to face. I feel like it ended everything perfectly and I'm so glad that Rowling added the Epilogue because she answered so many questions in those few pages. I'm glad that the couples ended up together and I loved their family interactions. Ok I'm done talking about it. I could talk about it for hours but now I'm a little worn out and I'm worried that I'm beating a dead horse. Is that the saying? Mindy said it was. So I'm done. Now I can stop neglecting my laundry, sleep, and boyfriend. Goodbye Harry, we had a good run. I'll come back in a few years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
siriusly Emily? I'm making fun of you for that right now. But it was kind of amazing at the same time. haha
That's the coolest invisible ink trick! I can't believe how intricate so many details are in all of the books that tie everything together in the last book like you said. That's so crazy. I am very impressed by Candace's prediction too about Snape. And of course Mindy must feel sheepish about convincing so many people that Harry isn't a horcrux! I find that has holes in it though because Harry NEVER had desires or pulls toward "the dark side" and wouldn't he if he had part of Voldermort's soul in him? It just doesn't add up to me. I know he inherited some abilities from Voldy, but it just seems like there'd be more in him if he really was a horcrux (i.e. look at the diary, and the locket when they tried to destroy it). wow, what an awesome book...
I agree with Mel about the Horcrux thing. The way JKR did it was great, but I'm just not completely satisfied with her explanation. There were a lot of things I really loved about this book, and I loved that so many things happened. I was surprised almost every chapter.
I also wanted to mention that it was sort of ironic that Harry was Teddy's godfather. Harry's parents died trying to defeat Voldemort, and so did Teddy's. Harry will be to Teddy what Sirius was to him. And I was also really sad about Fred dying. He was my favorite of the Weasly twins, and if there was a character that I was going to have a crush on, it probably would have been him.
That was SO sad about fred. if you think about it, it was really sad that lupin and tonks were killed but at least they went together. george will have to live without fred for the rest of his life, what will happen to his sense of humor? mel, i don't even want to know what would happen to you if he-who-must-not-be-named heard you calling him voldy.
Obviously it goes without saying that i thought the book was amazing, but i also want to point out that i didn't really like all of the references to hilter, like the snatchers and the prison that grindelwald made with the phrase "for the greater good" over the entrance, it sounded a little bit to much like "work will make you free". something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. i thought it was a little lame.
yea, the hitler stuff could've been a little more subtle. I agree that was over the top and too in your face.
I totally agree with you guys on the hitler thing, but wow, it didn't even dawn on me. Nuremburg was the real prison and JKR's other prison was barely a stretch from the same thing.
Amen to everything you guys have said. I don't think she could have wrapped up a saga any better. I loved the very end with HP chatting with Voldy. Pretty intense and you can just picture everyone in the great hall freaking out that it was siriously happening. Crazy. Love Neville, he's still one of my fav's. I cried so hard when they saw him in the tunnel and when he was being tortured again.
Anyway, loved it, balled my eyes out with happiness and sadness. Especially loved little Albus Severus and Lily at the end.
I didn't even MAKE the connection about snape wanting to look into Lily's eyes. That is pretty sweet. Loved it!
I read a story on Yahoo about what Rowling imagines everyone to be doing for careers. Ron is partners with George at the joke shop. Harry is head of the Aurors' office. Ginny is a professional quidditch player. And Hermione helps house elves full time.
What the crap happened to Luna though? I LOVE Luna.
Post a Comment