Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Deathly Sand Hollows

Last weekend, Christy and I went to St. George to go stay with Audrey. We had a great time eating sandwiches, reading celebrity gossip magazines, and hanging out in some 100+ degree weather.On Saturday we went to Sand Hollow, this little man-made lake that's on the way to Hurricane. It was so hot that the rocks burned your feet if you didn't have shoes on. On the very steep parts, the rocks burned your butt when you had to scoot down them. We wondered if there were any fish in the lake, and then we found this: so that answered our question. I had been to Sand Hollow a couple years ago with Joel and his friends Derek and Jordan. I had a traumatic experience where they left me on top of this rock because I was too scared to jump. No really, they left me; they were in the car honking because they were so sick of waiting 30 minutes for me to jump. It was a little humiliating. I still had to climb down, swim into shore, and then hike over to the parking lot to a car full of boys driving away from me while I tried to catch up and jump in the car. I guess it built character, right? I had a similar experience this time. Christy and Audrey jumped off the rock with no problem (see diagram below) and I stood up there for 15 minutes while they waited, counted down repeatedly, and got sunburned. I finally decided that I would feel much more comfortable if I climbed down 5 feet and jumped. After that it wasn't scary at all. Sorry I'm such a wuss. I'm all talk. I think they forgave me though. We had a lot of fun and got some sweet tanlines. If you're thinking about going to Sand Hollow, first read this breaking news report and then stay away from the south side. Gross.

7 comments:

Jules AF said...

Was that just a fish head? That's disgusting.

Mindy said...

I am really impressed with your diagram. I only hope that one day I will be as accomplished in blogging as you are.

Flinders Family said...

That fish head is disgusting, but I have to laugh at that story because I totally remember that! Sorry he was such a jerk sometimes! I'm going to tell that story at your wedding reception for sure!

AnnEE said...

Emily, it's not swimmers itch you developed, it's crabs. i wish you would keep the two separate!

Marisa said...

Emmy, your comedic timing is unbelievable. I loved the part where you "wondered if there were any fish in the lake" and then proceeded to demonstrate your findings. I also commend you on your correct usage of the subjunctive. Hats off to you.

AnnEE said...

Ok, I guess I don't really think you have crabs. But if you did, I want you to know, I'd still be your friend.

Unknown said...

Hey I've been there - I think I jumped off that very same rock. I hear ya, it's a kind of frightening. Pretty down there though, isn't it? Kind of like lake powell except without the skinheads. Anyway I just wanted you to know that I have always been your biggest flan.