Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Pinewood Derby: The Race

Now that I have had you all on the edge of your seats, let me fill you in on what happened at the race. First, take a look at the fierce competition. Pretty scary, huh? Anyways, the race started out great. Roy easily flew past his first four competitors without even trying, and it was starting to look like Roy would be the car to beat. But then came along "Bishop's Balloon Bomber." B Cubed (as I like to call him) was a little car with a balloon duct taped to him, and Bishop would blow up the balloon and then let it go when the race started and the wind would power it down the track. It seriously went so fast, it looked like it was flying. I wasn't sure how Roy was going to perform against him, and I was right to be nervous. He beat me in the first race and Jason and I shared nervous glances as I set Roy up for the second race. Luckily, the balloon was blown up a little too much so when it deflated it threw him a little off track, so I won that second one. And by the third race, the balloon was all stretched out so it didn't deflate with as much force, so Roy won again! It was once again proved that Roy rules.

Then along came "General Patton." I didn't take a picture of the General because I was afraid of him. Instead, I drew this picture that doesn't really show how much bigger he was than Roy, but you get the idea.
General Patton was HUGE and weighed maybe 5 pounds. Even though he was heavy and scary, he went pretty slow. Then we noticed that one of his wheels was a little shaky, and since it was a church activity, I decided to be nice and offered a spare. I shouldn't have done that, because the General won the rest of the races, including against Roy.

And now for the final results. There were three different prizes; one for fastest, one for most innovative, and one for best looking. Roy won for best looking!! So even though we got second place in the actual race, I still got a prize of a bag of Mamba's for having a car with a nice gold paint job. It was kind
of ironic that Jason spent three hours making Roy and getting saw dust all over him, and I only spent three minutes spray painting, and that's what gave us the win. Sorry, Jas. I still think that it was totally worth it to have you make that car. What? I shared the candy!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Congratulations on your win for best looking car! It's too bad you were nice to the General. I would have let him lose. (maybe - I'd be torn against feeling bad for his wobbly wheel & my competitiveness.)