On Wednesday, we were planning on going to Salt Lake for dinner to meet up with Marisa and Rob at the Gateway since we hadn't seen them since they returned from their European Vacation: Van Wilder Special Edition. Unbeknownst to me, Jason had informed them that in fact we wouldn't be meeting up with them, but that he was going to propose that night. They were great at keeping the charade going.
So we head to Salt Lake and we drive by Temple Square to see the lights before heading to the Gateway since we were a half hour early. Instead of turning towards the Gateway, Jason keeps circling the same four blocks for about ten minutes looking for some parking garage. And I'm worried that we're going to be late for our dinner appointment, but then started to figure it out when he kept giving dumb excuses like, "I'm just trying to figure out Salt Lake's grid system." We finally find the garage he was looking for and he says, "Okay, we're here." So we get out and start walking and he has this mysterious bag in his hand that has some sort of shoe box or something in it. So I knew he was going to propose, but didn't know the ring was going to be so big it needed a shoe box! Oh I am kidding.
So we walk towards The Melting Pot, the delicious fondue restaurant. We have reservations and are seated at a secluded table in the corner. We ate lots of food and had a full four-course meal. Look dad, I ate two shrimps!
When our waiter brings out the dessert, Jason asks if we could have 15-20 minutes alone. We wouldn't want the waiter asking if we needed refills in the middle of the proposal, after all. When our waiter was gone, Jason pulled out this box that he made. He did a really good job on it and used the manly version of mod-podge: Gorilla Glue. It was a beautiful boy-craft!
When I opened the box, I saw this:
Lots and lots of red skittles. Now, as you all should know, red skittles are the best flavor. So when you love someone, you show your love and devotion by offering them the best flavor of the best candy, obviously, so that is why my box is filled with red skittles. And yes, we have discussed this subject for quite some time.Also in the box are some Emily and Jason POGS that Jason made with pictures of us from my blog. Now isn't it good that I have been documenting our relationship? We will challenge any person or couple who is willing to compete against us.
And last in the box was a piece of chocolate that looked just like a See's candy. It is not in the above picture because it had already been devoured. Well, not devoured, but eaten very gently and carefully because my ring was in the chocolate! Don't worry, it was covered in plastic first, so there wasn't chocolate all in the nooks and crannies. We ate the chocolate, Jason removed the plastic, and then proposed, not down on one knee because we were in a booth and he was on the inside. I didn't expect him to crawl under the table to get out. If you don't know by now, I said yes. When the waiter came back, I think he knew something was going on because he tried to sell us a special Melting Pot picture frame for $12. Yeah right, get out of here. I hid my ring so I didn't hurt his feelings.
The night was so awesome, Jas did a great job, and it's been such a fun story to tell people. If I was the type of girl that cried often or easily, I would have cried at how sweet everything was. But instead, I am the type of girl that laughs and smiles a lot, so I did just that, and have been doing that ever since! Being engaged is already very fun and I look forward to getting lots and lots of presents and attention, and yeah, I guess also being with Jason forever.
Here are some answers to questions you might be wondering:
Did you see it coming? Kind of. I knew it was going to be sometime this week, but I didn't know when. I had no idea that he had this whole dinner planned out.
When is the wedding? As of right now, April 12, 2008. But also a brand new possibility is March 15. It depends on if we can get a certain reception hall.
Where is the wedding? We will be sealed in the Oakland Temple (holla atcha Oaktown!) and then we'll have an open house at the Russon home in Alpine, UT a week or two after the wedding.
Where is the honeymoon? We're crossing our fingers for Puerto Vallarta.
What are your colors? I really love brown, so that will be a color for sure. Brown and green with white flowers.
Where will you live when you're married? We'll live in some sort of condo or townhome in Utah county. We both really like Pleasant Grove and think it's a cute little town, and it's closer to work for both of us. We'll start looking in January or February.
The most important question: What will you do with your blog? I don't know! Do I switch the address name? Do I just keep the haycock in my blog? I bet I'll just keep it, and maybe Jason will post an item here or there.
So there you have it. Maybe there are more questions, and if so, feel free to ask. And thanks for all the comments on my pretty ring! I love it!
The one bad thing about being engaged: No more dessert fondue until AFTER the wedding.
18 comments:
Oh Emmy, that was really cute. And here is a big fat WHATEVER to not eating dessert before the wedding, first because you weigh like two pounds, and second because Jason did not propose to the sickly skinny version of Emily Haycock. So enough about that.
I loved the part about the red Skittles. We are so happy for you guys! See you tomorrow night!
I am so happy for you, Emmy! I hope Jason knows what a lucky guy he is, because you're quite a catch. One time Chris said that about you. It's so weird that you're marrying Justin Mitchell's summer freshman roommate. And it's okay, Jason. You don't have to pretend to remember me.
Oh, I couldn't be happier that you're going to live in PG or something. We can live next to each other, and have sleepovers. Right?? Errr.....awkward.
That is so cute. I like Jason already, even though it would be nice to meet him someday. Maybe he could make a special appearance at card club on Tuesday! Congrats, you guys are a cute little couple.
P.S. So I guess you don't want to go on a date with my uncle then? Just making sure. You would be a fun aunt.
Hey Emmy! Congrats! This is so exciting. If Puerto Vallarta doesn't work out you can always come to LA. ;)
Yeah, I support the keeping of Haycock in your blog name. And I LOVE that you addressed that along with important things like where's the wedding and the honeymoon... and what about your blog? hahaha
Congratulations!! Dustin and I are really, really excited for you guys. It's hard to believe that Jason is actually getting married and to such an awesome girl! If our say has any weight, we vote for May 15th. That way Dustin will at least have a chance of making it to the Alpine reception. (I'm due that day, so I most likely won't be coming, sorry!)
emily - that is a fantastic story. puerto vallarta is also fantastic. we went there for our honeymoon. i don't like to give unsolicited advice, so people can't call me bossy/know-it-all. however, if you want recommendations on places to stay, transportation, etc. etc, let me know. you rock!!!
Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you two! I love you both and can't wait for you two to get hitched! If you are looking for a place, North East Lehi is great too... :)
Yay Em,
I especially love the skittles part of your story. That's how you know he REALLY love you. :) Precious!
Congrats!
So darling.
Hey, there is a really great townhome in my complex that is for sale! It is super nice, not a fixer upper like mine, and a total deal. Seth can be your Realtor and he'll give you the just-engaged-very-cute-couple discount.
Also you would be in my and Paige's ward! You couldn't ask for more.
Congratulations! Honestly, it has taken me a little while to get too excited for you because I didn't get to interview him or anything! And, you know the real reason. I have to tell you that I called my mom to tell her and she said we have to at least ask you to wait until March 2009. What do you think??? J/K. We are all very happy for you and wish you all the best!
YAAAAAY for Emily and Jason! Very, very happy for you and so glad that he loves you as much as I do! You'll always be an honorary member of my family :) Muah!
Congratulations! Jason's proposal sounds very sweet. I knew he was a great guy as soon as I learned he's from Alpine. Your open house will be just up the street from me - YAY - I can't wait.
Congratulations and I am very happy you called me before I read this. Now I have one very important opinion to express. Don't change your blog. Your blog is my favorite one in the whole world and even if you just change your last name or something I feel like you might jinx the greatness of it. You have to/get to change your last name for Jason, he can't expect you to change you blog too. Can he?
Your cute story gave me goosebumps. I hope I can come, maybe Brit will be up for a road trip with the boys and me : )
That was such a sweet story emily! Totally gave me the chills. You two are so cute together. I am so happy for you!
I'm so happy for you!!! This is so exciting (even though I was secretly hoping you would be a part of my family someday). You should have a ton of fun in Puetro Vallarta. That's where Adam and I went for our honeymoon and it was amazing and gorgous.
Post a Comment